Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse Review

Back to Article
Back to Article

William Leach and Kadin Miller

Spider-Man is one of the most iconic Marvel superheroes. Spideys first appearance was from the comic Amazing Fantasy #15 released in August of 1962. In the last 57 years, hundreds of comic artists and writers have reimagined our iconic hero in many different ways. Spider-Verse embraces the weird and unordinary with its stylistic animation, it’s amazingly crafted soundtrack and it beautifully presented story. Here’s our review of Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse.

Weirdly enough, the story of Spider-Verse is probably the least important part of this review. The story is a coming of age story about our main character Miles Morales. He lives in a world where their Spider-Man is killed. This event causes Miles to take up the mantle of Spider-Man. Miles has to learn how to adapt to his new school and juggle the stress and confusion of being Spider-Man. Throughout the movie we see him encounter “Spider-Men” from other alternate dimensions. From characters like Spider-Ham to an anime character named Penni Parker and her sidekick that’s a giant mech suit that represents Spider-Man. They all team up to fight off against an array of villains that comic fans will find very familiar. This wacky cast of character’s help teaches Miles to harness his true powers and become the next Spider-Man so he can save the multiverse.

Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse recently won “Best Animation” at last years Oscars and it shows. The animation used for this movie is truly unique in its style. The art style makes you feel as though you’re watching a comic book play out on the big screen. Big bold comic letters fill the screen, bright contrasting colors pop out at you and give this movie a personality of its own. The way each character in this movie has their own unique color pallet and how they all move differently depending on the situation make this movie a true spectacle. Spider-Verse excels in the little details of its animation. The tiniest details you would only notice on a second viewing of the film make this movie great for a second or even a third watch.

The soundtrack for this movie is indeed one of the best we have heard from an animated movie. The soundtrack is directed by Daniel Pemberton, who composed music for the movies Steve Jobs and The man from U.N.C.L.E. This soundtrack takes songs from famous artists such as Post Malone and Juice WRLD. Post Malone even created the song Sunflower with Swae Lee for this movie. The main character uses this song to calm himself and focus throughout the movie. Juice WRLD’s song Hide is used when the character is at his lowest in the story. The soundtrack is used to portray how the character is feeling and never feels out of place. Another aspect of the soundtrack is the characters themes. A great example of this is “The Prowler’s Theme.” Whenever he’s on screen this distorted screech plays. We as an audience associate this screeching sound with the character, and it helps in building the personality of him. This theme shifts the tone of a scene in an instant. The people who constructed the soundtrack and sound design of Spider-Verse really knew what they were doing.

In conclusion, Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse is a masterpiece in animated movies and one of the best movies to come out in 2018. It’s so successful that a second movie has already been confirmed. Its amazing animation style is something that we’ve never seen in such a big movie before. The soundtrack and sound design build this movie up and create such a great feel for this movie. Lastly, the story is an interesting concept and keeps the viewers engaged in the plot throughout the whole duration of the movie. Kadin and I give the movie a near perfect 9.5/10. The only issue we could see was the lack of motivation from Miles Morales. It makes his journey as a superhero feel somewhat pointless. Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse is available on Blu-ray and digital now, we recommend you watch it.

About the Writers
William Leach, Writer

I am an editor of The Rebellious Times. My name is William Leach. I'm fourteen, and I'm a freshman at Southwestern High School. I joined this class in...

Kadin Miller, Writer

Hello, my name is Kadin Miller, and I am a sophomore at Southwestern Highschool. I was born on November 8th, 2002. I like to shoot archery and watch movies.

• Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse Review

Entertainment

Avengers: Endgame Spoiler Review

• Entertainment

How to Avoid Spoilers for Endgame

Entertainment

Lost and Found: Book Review

Entertainment

Mystery of the Misplaced McQueen

• Entertainment

Top 10 Most Unusual Pets

Entertainment

Captain Marvel Review

Entertainment

Songs of Our Native Daughters and the Beauty in Reclaiming History

Entertainment

Top Ten Marvel Movies

Entertainment

Southwestern’s Best Memories

Entertainment

Ant Man and The Wasp Review