Top Five Most Unusual Jobs in the U.S.

Hugh Smith, Writer

Most students have a decent idea of what they are going to do after high-school. However, deciding what career to have can usually be a difficult decision among the many jobs available. Today, we will review some of the most unusual occupations that a person can apply for in the U.S.

1. Dog surfer instructor- People can become a teacher for the unique sport of dog surfing. This sport consists of teaching dogs to use surfboards, bodyboards, and paddleboards. At certain resorts, people can be paid to teach dogs how to stay on the board and ride waves along coastlines. Instructors can even participate in events such as the Loews Coronado Bay Resort Surf Dog Competition in California, which is the largest dog surfing competition in the United States.

1. Scuba Diving Pizza Deliverer- How do pizza fans get their food in underwater hotels? People can be paid in the state of Florida to deliver pizza to the Jules Undersea Lodge, which is the only underwater hotel in the United States. Since guests have to scuba dive simply to get into the hotel, scuba diving is also required to deliver to the guests.

1. Netflix Tagger- Believe it or not, it is possible to be paid to watch Netflix full-time and collect data. These employers are required to watch TV shows and movies that need to be tagged in their correct categories. Bilingual people have an advantage as Netflix is planning on paying people for also tagging content in other languages.

1. Snake Milker- For everyone that is bold and experienced enough to handle venomous snakes, this job is for them. Snake milkers are required to take care of snakes daily and extract venom for antivenom, heart medicines, and treatment for blood clots. Getting into this career requires many years of education and specialized training on how to treat venomous snakes. Although it is a risky job, it pays well as the BLS reports a median salary of $60,520.  

1. Dog Food Tester- For dog food companies to compare flavors with other brands and human food, they require people to sample dog food. Although it may seem simple, it is a highly skilled job that requires people who determine the food’s nutrition. Most dog food testers have doctoral degrees and have to identify the smell and the texture, so pets don’t reject it. Fortunately, members in this career do not have to digest this food and only have to test it.