Future of the I-Learn Test

Hugh Smith, Writer

I-learn is another standardized test that the state has adopted to show formative assessment in the classrooms. Just last week, sophomore re-testers took the I-step while the biology course in I-learn will start in the high-school this week. All students are required by law to take it as a part of the No Child Left Behind Act. Similar to the I-step, I-learn will show where the school stands in achievements and also where improvement can happen.

Mr. Firth, the principle of the high school, has said that the test is an assessment tool and can help the school and its teachers grow if is be used correctly. He has also states that the I-learn will mainly be done by lower grades later on.  This is because both it and the Istep will likely be replaced by the ASVAB, the ACT, and the SAT as one of the tests have to be completed to pass high-school.

For the middle school, the I-learn started on April 26th and is predicted to last until May 17th. The principle, Jason Watson, has declared that I-learn will likely continue to replace the I-step in the middle school, but it is unknown how long since the state is in charge of this decision. Because the test has only been around this year, it is difficult to estimate how beneficial it will be. Mr. Watson predicts that the I-learn will provide more information towards students while the I-step only showed students if they passed or not. Mr. Watson also explained that standardized testing, in general, has too much emphasis is put on it, and it is only a small amount of very specific content.

Generally, the I-learn will likely provide additional information to students about testing skills in comparison to the I-step. The changes in the standardized testing will probably mostly affect the middle-school and lower grades. This change will hopefully bring more opportunities in education for the students that take it.