Girl’s Tennis Wins Conference Title

Back to Article
Back to Article

Girl’s Tennis Wins Conference Title

Ashton Goode, Sports Editor

The girl’s tennis team were conference champions this weekend. They played Christian Academy in the semifinals; then won against Trinity Lutheran in the finals, with a rain delay. They are now Southern Indiana Tennis Conference Champions. They had beat Christian Academy 3-2 and was a match ahead Trinity Lutheran.

A senior, Ashlyn Cloud, and her doubles partner who is a freshman, Chloe Adcock; won 6-0 at the number one doubles. Ally Voorhies and Audrey Bare won due to forfeit as the number two doubles. At this point, it came down to singles. Julia Worcester lost 7-5 and 6-2 at number one singles and Autumn Harmon lost 6-0, 6-0 at number three singles. It all came down between the match against Elle Ford and Julia Lostutter at number two singles. Elle Ford picked up the win with 6-4, 2-6, and 10-6. Coach Garrett said, “ Julia played a strong match against a very strong player before falling.”

In the championship against Trinity Lutheran, Southwestern was up in set leads in three matches before the rain had come in to end all of the finishes. None of the matches in the finals got finished due to all of the rain, but the coaches decided to give Southwestern the victory. Southwestern had already been up with four out of the five matches. They had also already beaten Trinity Lutheran earlier in the season 5-0. Ashlyn Cloud, Elle Ford, and Chloe Adcock were added to the all-conference team.

After the weekend, the Southwestern girls tennis team went to Scottsburg and went 3-2 for their tenth win of the season.