Track: Breaking Records

Back to Article
Back to Article

Track: Breaking Records

Ashton Goode, Sports Editor

The last track home track meet of the year the high jump record was broke. This record was broken by a sophomore, Owen Bates. Owen has been high jumping since middle school and has been trying to get the record since freshman year. The old record was 6 foot 4 inches. Owen set the new record at 6 foot 5 inches. Each meet Owen had been trying to get the record and got close each time. He is jumping at sectionals and hopefully will advance to the regional competition.

Our next record breaker is a 400 runner, Mitchell Cline, who has actually already broken the school record and his own record three times now. He broke the record his sophomore year and broke his own school record this year. He broke his own record again at the conference which was held at Switzerland County. His new record to beat now is 49.17 seconds. He went to state last year and he is hoping to do that this year. At the conference, he ran against a very good 400 runner from Milan but Mitchell came out with the win. His biggest opponent is from Madison Consolidated High School, Dauntee Obanion. Dauntee and Mitchell get to run against each other one time out of the whole track season and that’s at sectionals.

The boy’s team have also won the conference that was held in Switzerland County. Mitchell Cline and Bradley Winston, along with others, made all-conference. Mitchell made all-conference in the 400, long jump, and 200. Bradley Winston made all-conference in the 2 mile. Caleb Ream also made all-conference in 300-meter hurdles along with the 400 and 1600 meter relay.