The Student Run News Site of Southwestern

Basketball 101

Basketball was invented by James Naismith in 1891. Basketball is a team sport where two teams usually consisting of five players on each team, play against each other on a rectangular court”.” The objective is to get the ball through a hoop mounted high on a backboard on the opponent’s side of the court while preventing the opponent from shooting it into your team’s hoop. It is a very popular sport worldwide, played with a round and usually orange ball that bounces. Basketball players mainly use skills such as dribbling, shooting, running, and jumping. Each made basket is worth two points, while a basket made from beyond the three-point line is worth three points If a player gets into too much physical contact, they may be given free throws which are worth one point each. The game typically lasts four quarters, and the team with the most points at the end of the four quarters win the game. If the score is tied at the end of the game, there will be something called overtime, which is an additional playtime to allow one team to win the match.

The game is played between men’s teams or between women’s teams. Basketball has been played in the Summer Olympic Games since 1936. Southwestern is getting ready for the 2019-2020 basketball.

Rebellious Times • Copyright 2019 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in