Home Economics at Southwestern High School

Autumn Gross, Social Media

Southwestern no longer has a traditional home economics class and I think it’s important to bring it back. I interviewed the teacher here that would teach the home economics class, Mrs. Nussbaum, and she gave me some information on what the school has to offer and why we don’t necessarily have home ec anymore. Home ec was typically a female-dominated class because they were the homemakers. Years ago, Southwestern phased out certain electives including home economics, and focused more on core classes. Then the state realized that there was a need for those electives and when they were brought back, instead of home ec, it was Family Consumer Sciences. This changed the gender bias and also the curriculum being taught. This curriculum includes taxes, personal finance, insurance, and more career and life-affecting skills rather than just cooking and learning how to care for a baby. Mrs. Nussbaum said that it’s important for students to learn about working in the kitchen because nutrition, preparation, and the prevention of foodborne illnesses are all skills that students should have. The staff at Southwestern are looking to bring the traditional home ec class back and we’ve applied for grants to pay for all of the appliances but everything was set back due to Covid-19. If a Nutrition and Wellness class comes back to Southwestern it will be separate from the Family Consumer Science classes and focus more on culinary and nutrition.