College Visits: How to Prepare

Back to Article
Back to Article

College Visits: How to Prepare

Avery Wilson, Writer

On Monday I went on a college tour at Indiana University Southeast. It was a fantastic experience, and it just made me even more excited to start this August.  I thought I would write this article to talk about what to expect, what questions to ask, and how to prepare for a college visit.

What to Expect:

Something to expect is meeting with the Academic Counselor. You have to meet with him or her to get you on the right track so you can get everything ready for college and the next stage of your adult life. Additionally, you will be walking all over campus, so wear comfortable shoes and dress according to the weather. Additionally, dress nicely because this will be a day of first impressions and you never want a first impression to be a bad one.

Questions to Ask:

When I got to IUS, the first thing I did was speak to my Academic Counselor. The things I would ask questions about first are about your dorms, scholarships and when they are do, and what major would be best for you. When you go on the college tour you will most likely be given the tour by a student who goes to the school. This is a really good time to ask questions and get advice from an actual student and not someone who just works there. Ask them about anything: their favorite classes, what are they majoring in, do they like going to school here, etc.

How to Prepare:

Once you are accepted into the college of your choosing, you will want to fill out everything that has to do with housing. Housing is very important because you are going to be there for four years and you don’t want to get stuck with the kid who waited until last minute or, even worse, not be able to live on campus at all. Another very important thing you have to complete on time is scholarships. Scholarships are everywhere, and there hundreds of scholarships that aren’t even applied for every year. It’s free money, so get as much as you can.

About the Writer
Avery Wilson, Writer

Avery Wilson is a senior at Southwestern High School. Avery joined the Newspaper/Current Events class because she wanted to get more involved with the...

College Visits: How to Prepare